Sunday, February 27, 2011

Professional opportunities and job skills

Hi everyone! I hope this semester is going well for you!
This week we are going to be talking about professional opportunities and job skills. I am sure that everyone in this class has different educational and career goals for themselves, but can all relate to the topic. Are you currently using your interdisciplinary skills in your professional life? I as well as many others can say that my degree is not actual related to my current professional life, but it has still taught me numerous skills. I currently work at Crispers (I have been there since I was 16, and I am now 22) doing everything from cooking, to cleaning, to management, but I plan on using my degree in the medical field. My degree focuses are biomedical science and behavioral/social science with a minor in health administration. I have found that the behavioral and social science part of my degree has taught me to communicate more thoroughly   with others, and the administration part has assisted me in organization and professionalism at my current occupation.

Everyone has their strong points and their weak points. My strongest points are communication, organization, recording, and positive attitude. If someone at work is having a bad day I will do something to make them smile and move on.  Due to the fact that I have worked for Crispers going on six years now my weak point is my friends. I worked my way into management and now I have to manage my friends. It is extremely difficult to hold a professional demeanor when you are working with people you go out with. I have learned that communication is a great was way to defeat weaknesses. As far as working with my friends that will be over as soon as I graduate. I know that criticism is a massive weakness for many people. The way that I look at it is if someone is taking the time to tell me what I have done wrong and how to fix it; then they must like me and want me to succeed.

Professional groups or organizations are a great way to prepare for future employers. My degree will be related to healthcare and two groups that I currently know of are American Public Health Association and the Intermountain Healthcare Group. The American Public Health Association provides its members with information on latest trends, research, legislation, advocacy and policy issues through multiple print and online publications, expert commentaries and many networking opportunities (APHA). This would help to keep me informed on the latest information to impress future employers.  The Intermountain Healthcare Group is a network of 23 hospitals that provide a wide range of care (InterMountain Health Group). The intermountain Health Group also provides research and professional opportunities to its community (InterMountain Health Group). I learned about both of these organizations through other classes. UCF also offers a wide array of fraternities and sororities related to different career paths.

I have to say that I have unfortunately not interned or externed anywhere. I can say that I have volunteered several places. In high school I volunteered at Boggy Creek Gang Camp. At this establishment I was pleased to work with handicapped children and their parents. I found this to be one of the most rewarding places to volunteer. To see a smile on those children’s faces was amazing. I have also volunteered at Childcare Choice Services (CCCS). This establishment provided under income families with a means to receive daycare. I have spent numerous hours helping with Rely for Life events. I currently have talked to the Harbor House about volunteering, and I will be starting there on March 1. I suggest that if you cannot intern or extern to volunteer or job shadow.


My philosophy is that nothing gets handed to you on a silver platter. It takes determination, courage, time, input, hard work, long hours, and whole heartedness. All of these attributes put together can equal success. Anyone who applies themselves from the beginning can achieve what they want to do.

I am not sure about you, but I wanted to be a vet, then a policeman, then a nurse, and now I am studying to work in the nonclinical side of healthcare. My career goals have changed drastically since I was a child. When I entered the IDS program my focuses where; behavioral/social science and health administration with a minor in criminology and sociology, but now even that has changed. If you are still unsure about what you want to do, don’t worry it will come to you. Focuses and minors may alter, but it is a growing experience.


Are you currently using your interdisciplinary in your professional life? Have you interned, externed, volunteered or job shadowed? What are your strong and weak points? Have your career goals changed since the IDS program?

Good Luck in your professional lives,

Tiffany Gray

"APHA: American Public Health Association." APHA: American Public Health Association. N.p., n.d. Web. 23 Feb. 2011. <http://apha.org/>.
"InterMountain Health Group." InterMountain Health Group. N.p., n.d. Web. 23 Feb. 2011. <http://intermountaingroup.com/

35 comments:

  1. Hi Tiffany,
    great points, I agree with you in that you must be careful how you balance your work/social time with friends. I have used my IDS skills prior to starting this major, I just really hadn't looked at it in that interdisciplinary way before. I have volunteered here at work, we have an annual youth camp where we go and help them get outside chores done, they are always really appreciative and it makes you feel good. I, like you, am a good communicator and very organized. I would say that one of my weaknesses is that I don't like public speaking. The only way to overcome it is to practice it and to learn as much as you can about what you are talking about, this helps your confidence. I have just started my IDS program and I feel good about my areas of study; Health and Humanities with a minor in Sociology so I think I can just stick on this path.
    Robert Gonzalez

    ReplyDelete
  2. Robert,

    I also HATE public speaking. I have found that practicing help me a lot. Your volunteering activities sound great keep up the good work. It sounds like you know the exact direction you want to go. What do you plan on doing after school?

    Tiffany Gray

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tiffany,

    I have only been in my IDS degree for this semester but I'm already wanting to see if their is an area strictly related to nutrition instead of my minor in health services administration. The more I learn about our health care delivery the more I want to stay out of it. I just started seeing a chiropractor who is also a nutritionist and his goal is to offer people their life back. He doesn't believe in medication. He believes that if your central nervous system is functioning properly and you have the right kind of nutrients going into your system then your body has the ability to fix itself. How wonderful is that mentality! I'm feeling very drawn towards nutrition, fitness, and education so once again I might end up switching my educational path.

    Danielle Sandvick

    ReplyDelete
  4. Robert,

    I have always had a problem with public speaking as well. I used to be painfully shy as a child and I still get tense and uncomfortable when I'm in a large crowd. But for some reason I see myself doing a lot of public speaking in my future. If I am really passionate about something than I want to tell the whole world and my fears about public speaking are slowly diminishing. It is funny how God can use the one thing that haunted you and produced the most anxiety to become one of your strongest attributes.

    Danielle Sandvick

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interdisciplinarity is something I have always been good at. I was in carpentry in high school, I love design and architecture and I love to make things. I always joked that I can build my own house and decorate it too but it is actually something that I am very proud of. I love being versatile and knowing that I can learn anything that I put my mind too. I waitress right now and it is for my aunt's restaurant so I am always using interdisciplinarity. I can waitress one day, help set up and decorate for weddings, help take pictures with my aunt, give the girls workouts, work in the kitchen when needed, and provide emotional support for my aunt. My aunt has taught me so much about nutrition and raw foods so I would have to say that I am using all parts of my interdisciplinary studies degree at my job. Education, behavioral and social sciences, and health are the parts of my degree and all the pieces of the puzzle that is my life seem to be shifting together.

    Danielle Sandvick

    ReplyDelete
  6. Danielle,

    It sounds like you hit the nail on the head with what interdisciplinarity is and how you are using it. After reading what you had to say about what you do at your aunts restaurant, I couldn't help but relate it to a bigger corporation or other company where most employees are trained and specialize in one aspect of production. I feel like an IDS degree makes us significantly more marketable, trainable and prepared when entering the ever changing world of employment. In a time where budgets are strictly followed and planned, what better type of employee to have than one who has been prepared to use their interdisciplinarity! Health care is such a giant field filled with so many different aspects of patient interaction and education. I hope you can find the right balance between education, nutrition and fitness and incorporate them into the ultimate profession. One thing to consider is that a teacher can teach about diet and fitness while a nutritionist can educate their clients about fitness and exercise - picking one area to focus on can still allow you to incorporate your other interests!

    Jeff Owens

    ReplyDelete
  7. Tiffany,
    I am currently a work management specialist with my employer, assigning in-house and contract crews to get our electric utility work complete. I am working towards my IDS degree so that I meet the minimum qualifications for a Project Manager position. I think this type of degree will give me the insight to be successful along with my extensive experience in this type of work. Thanks!
    Robert Gonzalez

    ReplyDelete
  8. Tiffany,
    I have changed directions on my degree several times also. I originally started college with a marine biology major. I stopped attending college and focused on work. I worked in retail management for over ten years. I decided to return to school to open up more career options and my major was nursing. I finished my AA in pre-BSN and started nursing school at Daytona State College and really did not like it. When I started UCF, I didn’t want a major that I felt trapped in. I wanted a degree that will give me options because I am still not sure what field I want to work in after graduation. I feel that the IDS program is exactly what I was looking for. I love this major and I know that my degree will open up many doors for me!
    Melissa Castorino

    ReplyDelete
  9. Tiffany,

    I registered to volunteer through the United Way last week. I am waiting to hear from a representative with Florida Hospital and I am trying to work in the bereavement department. Since one of my main areas of study is communications with a minor in psychology, I feel that this volunteering opportunity will give me some experience in my major. I do not have any work experience in any of the fields that I am interested in going into since really my only work experience is in retail management and I definitely do not want to go back into retail. The best way for me to gain some relevant experience is through volunteering. I am really looking forward to this opportunity and hope to be volunteering soon!

    Melissa Castorino

    ReplyDelete
  10. Tiffany,

    I would say that my strongest points are dedication, determination, and organization. I am not currently working, but when I worked as a manager I used interdisciplinary skills every day even though I did not realize it at the time. I helped customers, delegated tasks to employees, gave performance feedback, made promotional announcements, set up displays, analyzed reports, made work schedules, and so much more. My weak points when finding a career path is going to be lack of experience. I am trying to bridge that gap through volunteering and a well rounded degree. I am also researching some graduate programs to make sure I am keeping my options open concerning continuing my education if I choose to do so. I am also hoping that through volunteering I can narrow down my interests and find a career that I will be happy with.

    Melissa Castorino

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you Jeff! I couldn't agree more and I recently found a chiropractor/nutrition/fitness office that I would be very interested in working at :)

    Danielle Sandvick

    ReplyDelete
  12. Robert,
    Many of us already in the workforce are using IDS as a means for advancement. What I've learned along the way is that we are all more interdisciplinary than we give ourselves credit for. Good luck with the project manager position!

    Kimberly Buffkin

    ReplyDelete
  13. Melissa,

    Great job on going for volunteer opportunities. Sometimes it's hard to just go out there and do it, especially when you are juggling school. Why do you want to work/volunteer in bereavement? What a great area to help people. It's tough. I know when we go to people's houses where someone has passed away, it's tough to be that person to tell the family there is nothing we can do. I remember those experiences vividly. Good luck!

    Kimberly Buffkin

    ReplyDelete
  14. Danielle

    I can say that nutrition is an amazing subject to study. I think that if that is a field that you are interested in you should persue it. I changed a few times asyou read earlier, and even though I am about to graduate I am looking for my next subject to study. There is so much to learn.

    Good Luck!!!

    Tiffany Gray

    ReplyDelete
  15. Melissa,

    Those are great strong characteristics that you have. It is important to be determined if you want to reach any goal in your life. I am going to have the same issue as you; experience. I have volunteered several places, but I have only had one job my entire life. I think that in one aspect it is a good thing because future employers want to see a steady work history. On the other hand I feel that it has not given me needed experience. Volunteering is a great way to get experience. Where have you volunteered?

    Tiffany Gray

    ReplyDelete
  16. Tiffany,

    Currently, I think I use interdisciplinary focuses in my professional life. When I work, I work as a Residential Care Worker and Behavioral Assistant. I work with dually diagnosed individuals who have mental illness and developmental disabilities. There are many different aspects to what my job entails and it is very diverse. I never realized that I use Interdisciplinarity in my life until taking this course. This is my first semester in the IDS program and this summer will be my last. With that, I don’t think my career goals have changed much since starting this program. I have volunteered with some Pre-Med/Pre-Professional organizations at UCF. I haven’t done any internships however I am looking to start shadowing a Physician Assistant sometime this summer.

    Hu-Ann Gayle

    ReplyDelete
  17. Melissa,

    Another thing. Try Harbor House and volunteer UCF for other volunteer chances. Keep me informed on your volunteering status.

    Good Luck,

    Tiffany Gray

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hu-Ann

    It sounds like you know exactly what you want to do, and you are headed in a great direction. I wish you luck!!! How was your volunteering? It sounds interesting.

    Tiffany Gray

    ReplyDelete
  19. Danielle,

    Great job using your interdisciplinary skills in your everyday life. It can be a difficult task when you are trying to balance so many different skills all at once. I like the idea of the Chiropractor your are seeing. Although, I personally use medications I still like you chiropractors way of thinking. I think you are a very versatile person, you went from carpentry now to nutrition. Do you enjoy the behavioral aspect of your degree? Do you feel that taking this course is allowing you to utilize more interdisciplinarity throughout your professional life? Good luck in all your endeavors.

    Hu-Ann Gayle

    ReplyDelete
  20. Tiffany,

    I was involved with the Pre-Professional Medical Society (PPMS) and Future Pediatricians of America. With PPMS, I did things at the Ronald McDonald house and at Daycare centers and many other places. I never got a chance to attend Camp Boggy Creek with this org. I always had to study during the weekend of the trip. If you never heard about it, it is a place designed for children with chronic or life threatening illnesses. I plan on attending a weekend coming up very soon.
    Thanks,
    Hu-Ann Gayle

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hu-Ann,
    I have been to Camp Boggy Creek, my neice was in a band that did some entertainment for them. It was an awesome experience. Hope you can get in on that sometime. Very rewarding. Good luck with the shadowing PA's. Where are you looking to shadow, private practice? Any certain specialty?

    Kimberly Buffkin

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hu-Ann,

    This course has showed me just how much interdiscplinarity I use. I really like the behavioral aspects of my degree, after all, fitness, nutrition, and overall well being have a huge impact on emotional and psychological issues. I would love to stay off medications for the rest of my life and if this lifestyle I am pursuing allows me to do just that then I want the world to know!

    Thanks for your questions!

    Danielle Sandvick

    ReplyDelete
  23. Tiffany,

    I can certainly understand how managing your friends can be difficult. In my past I have dealt with managers who became friends and friends who have taken management positions and lack the ability to differentiate their new responsibilities from their job position. Some people lack the skills to separate their personal and professional lives and their friendships suffer. I find it admirable that you seem to have an understanding of your role as manager and understand that effective communication can make a situation more manageable when juggling all of your roles.

    -- Jonathan Kress

    ReplyDelete
  24. Danielle,

    I can certainly see a correlation between quality nutrition and overall well being. This all makes sense, while I respect the opinions of everyone, including your chiropractor/nutritionist, I think my allergies would be unbearable without my Zyrtec D. I believe that holistic health and medicine can be a great means by which to improve overall health and eating a balanced diet is also very important to overall health. I recently had a pretty big chuckle when a buddy told me not to be alarmed by his friend's "freaky vegan veins" when I met his friend for the first time.

    --Jonathan Kress

    ReplyDelete
  25. Interdisciplinarity is important in my current life as I have worked regularly in the sales field and connecting with your audience (even if it's just one person) is paramount to your success. The real goal is to find mutual ground for discussion and exchange of ideas when attempting to describe a product. Tonight, I was at the Apple store and heard the salesperson describe a QuadCore processor as having 4 cores, as if it were a profound concept to the customer, at this point I realized the sales process would be uphill for the sales staff. My career goals have remained relatively the same, I enjoy working with different types of people and exploring the sales process further with coworkers and customers alike.

    -- Jonathan Kress

    ReplyDelete
  26. I haven't really used my interdisciplinary education in any of my past positions. Most have been pretty simple customer service position. I can't wait to finish my degree and get a "real" job.
    Alicia Malebranche

    ReplyDelete
  27. I am a member of the Nonprofit Management Student Association and the American Fundraising Professionals. Both of these organization have provided tons of networking and learning opportunities . I would love to get more information on the American Public Health Association. I'm researching ways to make myself standout in grad school applications and I think the APHA would be a great asset.
    Alicia Malebranche

    ReplyDelete
  28. I am currently interning at the Orlando Science Center and am having a wonderful time. I'm exposed to so many aspects of nonprofit management that I don't think I would have ever become competent at by just by reading a book. In the nonprofit sector, employees are expected to wear many hats. Tonight I attended an event that required me to be public relations, security, sales and facilities maintenance all at once!!. Eventhough I love my position I think that I would have been better served interning in a medical related nonprofit since my goal is an MPH. I plan on looking for another position this summer with a company that is more public health focused.
    Alicia Malebranche

    ReplyDelete
  29. Hi Alicia,
    I bet interning with the Orlando Science Center is fun. Does MPH stand for Master of Public Health? If yes, have you thought about volunteering at a hospital? I know ORMC has a volunteer program. I think that kind of experience would look great on your resume.
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  30. I have not been able to apply my full IDS knowledge to my professional life. Seeing as I do not technically have a professional life yet my life consists of baseball and school. I can say that I have volunteered before in a hospital. Strong points I have would be able to work and deal with all types of people. I consider myself easy going, but weak points I could not find any that stood out as a disadvantage. My career goals have altered some since being in the IDS program. Changes include always keeping options open as well as not being afraid to brings things together.

    Kevin Vasquez

    ReplyDelete
  31. Alicia

    I feel the same way I cannot wait to graduate and begin my professional career. Through the years when i am able to work i have just held regular jobs as well. Good luck with your degree and future professional career.

    Kevin Vasquez

    ReplyDelete
  32. Danielle

    I have a interest in architecture as well. I took several classes in high school and some during junior college. Although I am no longer pursuing it I will always like it. Good luck

    Kevin Vasquez

    ReplyDelete
  33. Jonathan,

    I completely understand why you would feel that way. I think it's "to each their own." I personally feel that medication, for the most part, should not be part of a person's life but there are always circumstances and things that happen that would change that. I think that we polluted our world so bad that optimal health is getting harder and harder to find. The only thing we can do is keep searching for better and healthier ways to live out our lives.
    P.S. The vegan thing made me laugh!!!

    Danielle Sandvick

    ReplyDelete
  34. I'm currently working part-time as a cashier at PetSmart, and aside from the social benefits of having one of my areas be Behavioral/Social Sciences, my degree doesn't particularly pertain.

    As I've mentioned previously, I plan on entering the medical field upon graduating with my IDS degere. I haven't participated in any intern/externships yet and am not sure if I will. I do plan on volunteering at a local hospital, hopefully either over the summer or next fall.

    I've definitely changed my career goals MANY times. When I was a kid I wanted to be a veterinarian as well. Toward the end of high school I was leaning toward law school, but after a few years of working in a law firm while going to community college that changed. After that I really began looking at doing something in the medical field. My father is a PA, and I've always been fascinated with what he does. I'm so much like my dad that it only seems appropriate that I follow in his footsteps.

    -- Kristina Young

    ReplyDelete
  35. Danielle,

    As someone who would like to enter the medical field, I've wrestled with the medication issue as well. I feel like our health care system in some ways has strayed from trying to make people healthy and whole to providing band-aid fixes and never really "curing" anyone. I suppose it makes sense when you think about how that keeps everyone in business; there's no money in the healthy. I've gotten really interested in holistic remedies lately and am planning on taking a nutrition course soon. Any recommendations on books/websites/information, as you seem interested in it as well? :)

    -- Kristina Young

    ReplyDelete