Saturday, February 19, 2011

Topic #3 Cover Letters and Resumes



Hi gang!

This week we’re going to discuss Cover Letters and Resumes. You don't want to end up at the bottom of the pile! One of the most important things job seekers can do is put together a great cover letter. This will give future employers an idea of what kind of person you are. It is important to tailor your letter for each company you are applying to, don’t make a stock cover letter. You could make a template, but make sure there is a portion of the letter focused on the company you are interested in working with. The cover letter is one of the best places to discuss your degree. Remember that an employer will probably not know what an Interdisciplinary Degree is. The best way to get past this is explain what your areas of focus are in school and how they relate to the company you are applying with. One of the things I like to focus on being an IDS student is my diversity. It’s important now-a-days to be able to wear many hats. In a lot of jobs they are cutting back, so they want people who are able to do many different things. What’s more perfect than an IDS student?

While the cover letter is important and should not be overlooked, a well put together resume is key in getting your foot in the door. There's an image with this blog of some resume blunders, these are obviously a little strange. You want to stand out, but not in that way! Take it from someone who has looked through resumes to find candidates. I personally have gone through stacks only to narrow it down to a few. I believe everyone that is picking candidates has something in their mind they are looking for. For me, one of the most important things about a resume is grammar and spelling. After all if you are not going to care about what is right or wrong in your resume (your first impression) than how are you going to care about the position you are applying for. I always recommend not depending on spell check to find mistakes, it’s not full proof (just like the word you just read, it should be foolproof, but spell check would not catch that one, shows you how important it is to let someone proof read your documents before you submit them!). So once you have put together your resume read through it, have others read through it. Don’t just slap it together and go, because you will end up at the bottom of the stack or worse in the garbage. Especially in today's job market.

Here are some important tips I’ve learned about resumes:

  • Keep it simple and the design easy to read. Don’t put your resume on fancy paper, most large companies scan resumes in and if your paper jams their scanner where do you think you will end up?
  • You can have a formatted resume that looks pretty to bring with you on interview day, but it is also important to make a plain text resume also. This is very helpful when you have to paste in your resume on a company’s website.
  • Update your resume often, so you always have an up to date copy, you never know when you will need it.
  • Significant accomplishments are very important to include in your resume. Have you saved your company money, found a new way to do things or worked on a team and did a great project.

Do you have any specific concerns or questions about cover letters or resumes? Maybe you have some examples of letters you would like to share. If you were to write about your IDS degree in your cover letter, what are some important things you would bring up?

Thanks!
Donna

46 comments:

  1. I had the opportunity to work with a vice president at my job and he helped me create a resume that I value very much. It starts out specifically targeting the job you are applying for but also has a section that list words that describe yourself, e.g., resourceful, motivated, positive attitude, etc. For every word that you list, you should have an example that helps you to describe why you think of yourself in those terms. It has helped me tremendously.
    Robert Gonzalez

    ReplyDelete
  2. Robert, I'm so glad you brought that up! It's great to have a qualification summary on your resume. Things that describe your work ethic. If you're detail oriented, able to work without supervision, if you're a problem solver or if you're able to multi-task. Details like this will give future employers a quick snap shot of really important qualities you hold.
    Thank you!
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  3. Robert,

    It is really nice when you have someone help you build your resume. My brother is in the Air Force and from searching USAJobs for positions available, once he gets out of the service, and talking to the specialist available on base he has learned how to get the attention of potential employers. He has tried to help me build my resume as well. I have a hard time when it comes to writing a resume though because I've never liked to brag. I prefer to impress people with what I can actually do rather than what I say I can do but that's the whole objective of a resume. I'm glad that this class really goes into detail about resumes and how to present this degree so that I can begin to feel more at ease with job searching.

    Danielle Sandvick

    ReplyDelete
  4. Donna,

    Out of all the cover letters and resumes you've searched through what has really made them stand out to you? Should you try to show a little of your personality in the design of the cover letter so that it may stand out in the employers mind and in the massive pile of papers? My face to face interviews have always been pretty strong and some employers hired me on the spot from them but I have never been that confident in my resume. I guess I've always had the fear that a new employer would expect too much in the beginning and feel disappointed if I was too confident in my resume so before this I always kept my resume minimalistic. I'm really glad we have this assignment. It is a lot of work but it is something that will be very beneficial once I'm done.

    Danielle Sandvick

    ReplyDelete
  5. Before this class I never wrote a cover letter for my resume. I also hardly ever applied for jobs that seemed a little out of my reach and even if I did I know confidence did not exude from my resume. After I finish my Bachelor degree I hope to have the confidence to apply for any job I believe I would be good at and be able to convince potential employers as well. One thing I learned that has stuck with me is to dress for the job you want. The type of person I am, I could wear a new style of outfit everyday and always be dressing for a job I want but I want to do a lot of things and that's beside the point :-). That is one thing that I really like about my interdisciplinary studies degree. I feel much more confident in applying for a somewhat wide variety of jobs because not only do I have varied experience but also varied education. Throughout this course I hope I find a job that encompasses a little of everything that I want to do.

    Danielle Sandvick

    ReplyDelete
  6. I echo Danielle's sentiments about cover letters/resumes as well. I don't like to "brag," and unfortunately I have self-esteem issues and my confidence level isn't where it should be. Due to this, I always feel awkward "talking myself up" in cover letters/resumes, and as such tend to keep them fairly simple. A lot of the jobs I've worked thus far in my life have been jobs that haven't required submitting a resume (online applications have taken over it seems), so my resume isn't as polished as it should be. I look forward to learning how to make it more appealing, even though I'm going to hopefully be attending PA school after graduating.

    Thanks!

    -- Kristina Young

    ReplyDelete
  7. Danielle and Kristina, I actually haven't used a cover letter whenever I have applied for a job, but I have been in the same job for 9 years. If I did go out to look now for a job I would be sure to use one now. When you look at a job listing just use their job description help you write your letter. Even if you have to say something as simple as “I see in your solicitation you are looking for “this”, I have experience with “that” through my current job (or through classes I’ve taken).” And as far as talking about yourself, now is not the time to be shy. It is much easier to talk about stuff you’ve done in a letter, than face to face. You don’t necessarily have to brag, but think of it as the best place to showcase past accomplishments. When I was looking through resumes more than 90% of people did not have a cover letter, this was a while ago though, so I think now-a-days people do use them more. Simple was better for me. Quick and to the point and I would imagine other resume reviewers would feel the same. Google cover letters and click on images and look through the samples. See if any of them sound good to you or maybe you could even use some of the words for your own. Thanks! Donna

    ReplyDelete
  8. Robert,

    I think that is a great add to your to your resume. I will have to keep that one in mind. The only suggestion I have is to make sure it is not too long.

    Thanks for the add.

    Tiffany Gray

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kristina,

    I have the same issue as you do about "talking myself up". I found it helpful to ask close friends and current employeers what they think about me, and add it to my cover page/resume. I ask them about my personality and work ethic.

    Tiffany Gray

    ReplyDelete
  10. Kristina,

    Just to reiterate on what Donna and Tiffany said about talking about yourself...Donna made a great point that it is easier to write it out on paper than to tell someone face to face; if given an interview you may have elaborate on what you wrote but writing it first will prepare you for that. Asking co-workers and current supervisors or close friends is a great idea; ask them what they think your best work and personality qualities are. I know its hard and you dont want to brag, but on the other hand you DO want the job you are applying for and you need something to set you apart from the other applicants.

    Jeff Owens

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  12. As everyone is mentioning, there is a degree of hesitation when it comes to resumes and cover letters.
    My manager is currently hiring and after someone has left after an interview she will give me the pros and cons of their resume and what they did right or wrong during the interview. It is really interesting for me to get the "behind the scenes" perspective from a hiring manager. Some things are her personal preferences, but others are common sense like spelling and grammar. Also, she said having a simple resume is just fine. It is better to have fewer, long-term jobs listed than several short-term jobs. That unfortunately portrays the interviewee as possibly uncommitted or not serious about a certain position. One thing I wish I had was access to different resume templates. I have seen a lot of different ways to present one, but I don't necessarily know which is best.

    -Amanda Hagen

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have put several resumes together and I have to say that none of them were very good. I have really only held three jobs in my life and I did not use a resume to land any of them, even the management position that I had. I really dislike applying for jobs online because I dislike my resume. I am looking forward to this assignment because I have never had any guidance putting together a resume. I am also a horrible speller, and I have to type my posts in word so I can spell check them before I post them! As far as length goes, I have heard that you should keep your resume to one page, does anyone find this to be true, or how long should your resume be?
    Melissa Castorino

    ReplyDelete
  14. Donna,

    So I am a little confused about what to include in the cover letter. I like the idea of using it as a way to elaborate on the IDS degree because most people will not know what that means and because it can include so many different areas of study so talking about your specific areas of study would definitely be important. Is it basically a way to show your qualifications for the position? How long should your cover letter be?

    Melissa Castorino

    ReplyDelete
  15. Danielle,

    I am also hoping that my Bachelor degree will give me the confidence to apply for jobs that I would like to have. I also feel that this degree will allow me to apply for a wide variety of jobs, more than just having a degree in one area of study. My degree is in a very different area than my work experience and I am not sure how to tie it all together. I also have a gap in employment because I stopped working after my second child was born to return to school and to take some time to take care of my children. I am not sure how to explain this professionally without being too personal. Hopefully working through this assignment will help and I am open to any suggestions!

    Melissa Castorino

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Melissa,

    The cover letter should only be one page, unless you have a lot of pertinent material. Here's a good template for a cover letter: http://jobsearch.about.com/od/coverlettersamples/a/covertemplate.htm. If you don't have a lot of work experience, it is good to use your education as your experience. Maybe go over some classes that will tie easily to the job you are going for.

    It is ok for resumes to be 2 pages long, but I wouldn't go beyond that. Like you mentioned each person has certain things they look at in a resume. But one of the overwhelming important things are spelling and grammar. There are some pretty good resume templates here: http://www.resumetemplates.org/templates/.

    Remember that these two things are your way in the door and it is important that they be thorough and stand out from the stack.

    Thanks!
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  17. Amanda,
    Thanks for the great suggestions!
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  18. Donna,

    I have a resume that I tailor each and every time I apply for a job. I have a section for skills where I briefly list some training and skills I have. I don’t have an area where I list any qualities I possess. I was wondering if you think that employers prefer a qualities section, or something along those lines. Also, some people tell me that having your resume fit on one single page is usually favored as well, what is your opinion on that? My resume right now fits at exactly two pages with barely any room for additions. I have used a cover letter once applying for a position in a hospital, now would you say that after obtaining my bachelors I should always have a cover letter attached? I mean, do you see it as more professional in your experience?

    Thanks,
    Hu-Ann Gayle

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Hu-Ann, You can use either a qualities section or a skill sections, this would depend on what you believe is stronger. If you have skills that match the job, I would definitely think this is good enough. I've heard one page for a resume too, but that is really not true, but I wouldn't go beyond 2 pages. The cover letter is not required, but it is the best place you can showcase certain things you can't show in your resume. Like your interest in the company you are applying to and tying your experience or education to the position you are applying for.

    Thanks!
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  20. Melissa,

    When you did the informal education assignment did you include the years that you were not working? Look over those again and try to find some connections between what you've done and the degree your going for now :) I hope it helps!

    Danielle Sandvick

    ReplyDelete
  21. Amanda,

    I also work with management on hiring, and have conducted interviews myself. At my place of work we give you an application and you can attach a resume if you have one. The number one thing I was told to watch for is if the applicant is prepared. If the applicant comes in and asks for an application and a pen we will not call them for an interview. If you are going to place an application you should have a pen. We also look at how long the applicant has worked at previous jobs. If the applicant has bounced from job to job that make you wonder what is going on. Like you stated long-term employment is looked at highly. Good point.

    Tiffany Gray

    ReplyDelete
  22. Melissa,

    I know what you mean about your job history. I am still working at the first place I was ever hired. It is a great idea that you type your assignments in Word first. I do the same thing because I am a horrible speller too. I work hands on with the managers at my store because I am the manager when they are on vacation. When it comes to resumes if it is longer than a page and a half they generally do not read it all. That could also just be their opinion.

    Tiffany Gray

    ReplyDelete
  23. Danielle,

    I just want to say that you are very helpful, and are doing a great job on the blogging. Keep it up!

    Tiffany Gray

    ReplyDelete
  24. Donna,

    Thank you for all of the information. I really appreciate the time you took to answer my questions. It is always great to receive insightful advising. I am at the point where I am figuring out whats next after graduation. Job hunting is a big priority on the list, and this includes resumes and cover letters. So, I take this information very seriously. Thanks again!

    Hu-Ann Gayle

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thank you Tiffany! It's always nice to hear good feedback :)

    Danielle Sandvick

    ReplyDelete
  26. Tiffany,

    That's so interesting about people not coming in with a pen! It totally makes sense though. It is neat to get perspective on how first impressions and little details can make or break a potential interview. Especially in this economy, it is essential to sell yourself in a way.

    -Amanda HAgen

    ReplyDelete
  27. Donna,

    Thank you for sharing the advice about resumes and cover letters. I also was under the impression that a one page resume was ideal. But keeping it under two pages is reasonable. And I like using a cover letter because as you said, it provides an opportunity to share more about yourself and the reason(s)for applying.

    -Amanda Hagen

    ReplyDelete
  28. Robert,

    I can understand how that would read well, but I reiterate others comments and concerns regarding length. I would have to assume that your resume would read much differently than mine. I can see how it would stand out from the pack very well though, taking a different approach to the process rather than repeating successes at a job in the past.

    -- Jonathan Kress

    ReplyDelete
  29. Donna,

    I know that some companies and recruiters often look for one page resumes because generally if you are a great employee, you should not have two pages of relevant career experience. If you are 15 years into your career and need to draw from skill that are 3 jobs ago, you have either not improved or advanced your skills or are not staying long enough to make an impact at your position.

    I know from experience that having extra information about additional duties and positions can be helpful for an employer for technical positions.

    - Jonathan Kress

    ReplyDelete
  30. Donna,

    I can also understand your stance on cover letters. I have never actually used a cover letter, to me it seems like puffery and filler. That being said I have friends who swear by the cover letter as getting your employer interested in you as an employee and person. In my resume I made the decision, in the interest of space to remove the Objective from my resume and have noticed I find more space to work with and present work accomplishments as well as special skills.

    -- Jonathan Kress

    ReplyDelete
  31. Jonathan,

    Thanks for your comments. Many people say 1 page is ideal, but the truth is if your resume is good, relevant and not full of fluff it really is ok to be 2 pages. I have never known any employers that have overlooked someone because their resume is 2 pages. But it is important that the two pages are well put together.

    I like your suggestion about removing the objective. I also don't have an objective. Some people say it's good to have, but if you're doing a cover letter it's really not necessary, because you can go into your objective here.

    Thanks! Donna

    ReplyDelete
  32. This week for our cornerstone assignment we had to critique someones resume and cover letter. I thought this assignment was well put together. We are able to get some insight on our own personal resume and cover letter, while being able to see examples of others. I never really use a cover letter, however I like the idea now and once I finish up my degree this summer I will use cover letters more often. Does anyone have any info on thank you notes after an interview? I've never sent one out before but if it makes you look more appealing to employers I am willing to try it.

    Hu-Ann Gayle

    ReplyDelete
  33. Personally I have never needed a resume so far. I have been busy with baseball throught my college education. I have one but as with a lot of resumes it needs work. I also have never used a cover letter, but I know now to use one. THis assignement has helped me out a lot and hope it pays off when I have to turn my resume in to a company.

    Kevin Vasquez

    ReplyDelete
  34. Hu-Ann

    I also have never sumbited a resume, buti am willing to try a cover letter if it works. Im thinking it will and hopefully help us not have a chance to be at the bottom of the pile.

    Kevin Vasquez

    ReplyDelete
  35. Donna B.

    I agree with what you said to Jonathan. I dont think an employer would look over a resume for having a cover letter. I think it is one things that stands out and will really help. Thank you.

    Kevin Vasquez

    ReplyDelete
  36. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  37. I've heard people critique other people's resumes if they list their high school and community college under "Education," insisting that listing a Bachelor's degree at UCF is sufficient. I'm not entirely sure I agree with this, then again I've never been in a position to review resumes and/or hire anyone. Does anyone have any opinions on this?

    -- Kristina Young

    ReplyDelete
  38. Tiffany,

    You said that when reviewing applicants' resumes you look at the length of time they stayed at a job. When I was sixteen I got a job at a Zaxby's for a few months over the summer (my parents didn't want me working while in school). I've always included this in applications/resumes, but I don't know if I should even bother anymore as it was such a short amount of time.

    Also, as I'm really just working to make money so I can survive while going to school, the jobs I've held and the job I currently hold really don't pertain to my future career. I feel like this could potentially hurt me, but at the same time it's nearly impossible to find work aside from minimum wage jobs while I'm going to school. Should I emphasize volunteer work and/or my educational skills instead?

    Thanks!

    -- Kristina Young

    ReplyDelete
  39. Although I've yet to need to submit a cover letter, I appreciate Jonathan and Donna's comment about removing the "objective" from your resume if you're submitting a cover letter. It makes sense. In your cover letter you're able to not only state your objective but also elaborate, and as such it seems like restating it in the resume would be simply redundant.

    -- Kristina Young

    ReplyDelete
  40. I think that cover letter should be sent with most resumes. It’s pretty much standard procedure and expected by employers. If I were I hiring manager I don’t think I would consider a candidate who did not take the time to write a couple paragraphs introducing themselves to the company. But then I am not a fan of “passive” job searches like Monster and Career builder. I tend to semi-cold email employers that I would like to work for.
    Alicia Malebranche

    ReplyDelete
  41. If you have had several jobs just to keep the lights on and don’t feel that any of the experience you gained will apply to the position you should look into creating a functional resume emphasizing the skills that you learned in class. However, I think that a lot of seemingly menial jobs teach us soft skills like teamwork, time management and conflict resolutions that employees are looking for.
    Alicia Malebranche

    ReplyDelete
  42. I have several cover letters and resume templates saved on my computer. I have one for administrative positions ( these emphasize my work history) I have one for nonprofit positions ( these emphasize volunteer experience and fundraisers that I have worked on) and then I have a lab/health care resume and cover letter that emphasize the skills that I have learned in the classroom. As I apply for different jobs I tweek them just a little bit so that they seem customer made for the employer. For example if I’m applying to a nonprofit I’ll look up their mission statement and find a way to plug that into my cover letter. That way the employer knows that I’ve done my research. I used this technique at the beginning on the semester to find an internship and I received quite a few responses.
    Alicia Malebranche

    ReplyDelete
  43. The most difficult thing I have come across in resume writing is showing I have enough experience. I've only had one job and it's completely unrelated to anything I want to do in the future. To counter that, I've started getting more involved with Volunteer UCF. I didn't realize there was a whole section dedicated to animal/environment opportunities, until I visited their website last month. Now I am making it a point to volunteer at their once-a-month events. I'm finding that it is not only giving me real experience in the area of work I am most interested in, but it also is great for my resume. They tell you to personalize your resume for each job you apply for, and considering I'm starting to apply at specifically animal-oriented jobs, I think this will work out well.

    Tyler Herring

    ReplyDelete
  44. I believe my resume is quite a good one. Mainly, I had some great help putting it together from my mother who owns her own business and is constantly hiring new employees so she helped me put together a resume that she would put on the top of her list. I have found it to be very useful as well because if I am applying for a job I am basically qualified for, I tend to get an interview and usually the job. I know that without a great resume that I work on often and keep as updated as possible, most job opportunities would probably just slip away from me but because I put a lot of work into my resume, I find I don't have to use it often because I can get a job I want when I want to get it.

    Travis Hunt

    ReplyDelete
  45. Tyler,

    I find I too have your problem. If you read into my previous post you will notice I say that my resume is great for when I want a job that I am qualified for, not for just any job. My dream was that through college I would work as a valet because that was something I thought was really quite cool and I would have fun doing it. The problem was that all through high school I had one desk job and it did nothing for my valet position. It wasn't until last summer when I was home that through a friend of a friend I was able to meet someone who worked for a valet company and I was finally able to get the job I wanted and know I have experience. Also, if you want another great animal place to volunteer, you could try the Back-to-nature wildlife preserve on S.R. 50.

    Travis Hunt

    ReplyDelete
  46. One thing I have never really had was a decent cover letter. Since I have never really had a big job to apply to or one that actually required me to have a cover letter, it has never been of too much importance to me. I know that in the near future, as I begin to apply to different Chiropractic colleges, I will need to have quite a good cover letter in place if I even want to be considered. I like the idea put out there by Alicia about using the mission statement in the cover letter somehow. I can see how that must have been very useful and helpful in securing your internship. I know that when the time comes for me to have a really good letter I can find plenty of advice both here on this blog and at Career Services.

    Travis Hunt

    ReplyDelete