Hi mentors! I guess that out of all the posts here, I relate most to Donna. I am an older student, having started UCF this semester after earning my A.A. Degree in General Studies from Valencia C.C. in late 2009. I picked the IDS program because it allows me to do my classes online, I work full time as a Sr. Work Management Specialist at a local electric utility. I want to be a Project Manager at my job but I need a Bachelor’s degree and with my 11 years of experience, it really doesn’t matter what field it is in. My areas of study are Health and Humanities with a minor in Sociology. I picked these areas because I felt that they would be interesting and I could relate them to my work. One of our most important core values at work is Health and Safety so I can apply what I learn in my Health classes and pass it on to my peers as applicable. The other classes that I plan to enroll in are related to Philosophy and Social Processes. I believe that a good Project Manager should have the skill set to be able to handle human interaction and to motivate people to get projects done. Understanding the disciplines that I have chosen should make me successful when I transition into one of these positions. The good thing about starting the IDS degree with this class is that if I change my mind early on with one of my areas of study, I can change it with minimal impact. What do you think of my areas of study? I would be glad to hear open and answers on my choices because when you are first starting out, I believe it is natural to have some doubt about what you have picked. Let me know and thanks!
Hi Robert! We do have a lot in common! I did my AA at Valencia also. I think your areas of study will apply to your job easily. You are lucky, because my areas of study almost have nothing to do with my career. But I did take a lot of core classes that could apply to business, thankfully! The great thing about the IDS degree is the flexibility. I think without it I wouldn't have been able to get this degree completed. You should be able to apply all of your areas to your job. Safety and health is always important in management and the classes you will take in this discipline will give you great basic knowledge. Having doubt is natural, I definitely felt it when I started. But once you've completed a few classes you'll get momentum going! How many classes are you able to take a semester? I have taken up to 3, but that is during the Summer when they have the mini-mesters. It is really tough doing those short classes, because they cram a lot in them in a very short time. But it sure felt good getting 3 classes done! Good luck and I'm sure we'll be talking again.
I am taking 2 classes in the spring and fall and 1 in the summer. I may increase my spring classes to 3 but I have to be careful in the fall because of hurricane season, it is all hands on deck at the electric company if there is a lot of damage and it can mess you up on classes. Trust me, it happened to me in 2004 when we got slammed. The only thing about this is it will take me 3 to 4 years to get my degree and I would really like to get it faster.
This cat video just made me laugh so much. I have two ferrets, the least sneaky animal I have ever seen. If my ferret Bonkers tried that he'd probably get distracted halfway to the camera and disappear. Anyway, I am trying to prepare myself for veterinary school by volunteering with several different types of animals and gaining experience. I am worried about preparing myself academically, though. I have to take Organic Chem I and II and feel like that might be one of the things that prevents me from accomplishing my goals. Any tips about being prepared for the difficult classes I have to take soon? Even names of easy professors would always be helpful ;) I'm worried about being academically qualified for what I want to be...and that is my main concern with my degree choice as well!
Hi Tyler~ I'm glad you liked the video, it made me crack up too. I love ferrets, they are the funniest little animals. I actually used to work at a veterinarians office a LONG time ago and they had a ferret for the office pet. I kept him up front with me. He would have endless of hours of fun. Loved crinkly bags to climb in.
Veterinary school, huh? Wow that is going to be wonderful! You have to stick with it. I actually took Organic Chemistry I and I'm not going to lie it was hard, but it is definitely doable. Getting a good partner to do your labs is key. I actually took it at Valencia. UCF seems to have such large classes and a class like that you really need attention from the professor. So maybe you could do that and transfer the credits?
Hi mentors! I guess that out of all the posts here, I relate most to Donna. I am an older student, having started UCF this semester after earning my A.A. Degree in General Studies from Valencia C.C. in late 2009. I picked the IDS program because it allows me to do my classes online, I work full time as a Sr. Work Management Specialist at a local electric utility. I want to be a Project Manager at my job but I need a Bachelor’s degree and with my 11 years of experience, it really doesn’t matter what field it is in. My areas of study are Health and Humanities with a minor in Sociology. I picked these areas because I felt that they would be interesting and I could relate them to my work. One of our most important core values at work is Health and Safety so I can apply what I learn in my Health classes and pass it on to my peers as applicable. The other classes that I plan to enroll in are related to Philosophy and Social Processes.
ReplyDeleteI believe that a good Project Manager should have the skill set to be able to handle human interaction and to motivate people to get projects done. Understanding the disciplines that I have chosen should make me successful when I transition into one of these positions. The good thing about starting the IDS degree with this class is that if I change my mind early on with one of my areas of study, I can change it with minimal impact. What do you think of my areas of study? I would be glad to hear open and answers on my choices because when you are first starting out, I believe it is natural to have some doubt about what you have picked. Let me know and thanks!
The only thing that I forgot was my name, Robert Gonzalez. Sorry.
ReplyDeleteHi Robert! We do have a lot in common! I did my AA at Valencia also. I think your areas of study will apply to your job easily. You are lucky, because my areas of study almost have nothing to do with my career. But I did take a lot of core classes that could apply to business, thankfully! The great thing about the IDS degree is the flexibility. I think without it I wouldn't have been able to get this degree completed. You should be able to apply all of your areas to your job. Safety and health is always important in management and the classes you will take in this discipline will give you great basic knowledge. Having doubt is natural, I definitely felt it when I started. But once you've completed a few classes you'll get momentum going! How many classes are you able to take a semester? I have taken up to 3, but that is during the Summer when they have the mini-mesters. It is really tough doing those short classes, because they cram a lot in them in a very short time. But it sure felt good getting 3 classes done! Good luck and I'm sure we'll be talking again.
ReplyDeleteI am taking 2 classes in the spring and fall and 1 in the summer. I may increase my spring classes to 3 but I have to be careful in the fall because of hurricane season, it is all hands on deck at the electric company if there is a lot of damage and it can mess you up on classes. Trust me, it happened to me in 2004 when we got slammed. The only thing about this is it will take me 3 to 4 years to get my degree and I would really like to get it faster.
ReplyDeleteThis cat video just made me laugh so much. I have two ferrets, the least sneaky animal I have ever seen. If my ferret Bonkers tried that he'd probably get distracted halfway to the camera and disappear.
ReplyDeleteAnyway, I am trying to prepare myself for veterinary school by volunteering with several different types of animals and gaining experience. I am worried about preparing myself academically, though. I have to take Organic Chem I and II and feel like that might be one of the things that prevents me from accomplishing my goals. Any tips about being prepared for the difficult classes I have to take soon? Even names of easy professors would always be helpful ;) I'm worried about being academically qualified for what I want to be...and that is my main concern with my degree choice as well!
--Tyler Herring
Hi Tyler~
ReplyDeleteI'm glad you liked the video, it made me crack up too. I love ferrets, they are the funniest little animals. I actually used to work at a veterinarians office a LONG time ago and they had a ferret for the office pet. I kept him up front with me. He would have endless of hours of fun. Loved crinkly bags to climb in.
Veterinary school, huh? Wow that is going to be wonderful! You have to stick with it. I actually took Organic Chemistry I and I'm not going to lie it was hard, but it is definitely doable. Getting a good partner to do your labs is key. I actually took it at Valencia. UCF seems to have such large classes and a class like that you really need attention from the professor. So maybe you could do that and transfer the credits?
Good luck!
Donna