According to Albert Einstein, “If we knew what it was we were doing, it would not be called research, would it?” Whether this is your first UCF class or you last semester, you all have performed some sort of research about some sort of topic and most likely put together some sort of report displaying your findings. As I am ending my undergraduate career (*fingers crossed*), I have come to the realization of the importance of my recent research as well as the basic techniques I learned some time since kindergarten. During my recent graduate school interview I was taken aback when asked what type of research I had been a part of and what type I am interesting in doing in the future. I was not completely prepared for this question but managed to pull some examples from deep in my brain and quickly think about some interesting medical topics I had recently read about in a scientific journal. Research is not something that only scientist do. It is a necessary skill needed to be mastered, one that will likely aid you in graduate school, fighting for a promotion or simply buying car insurance.
Having conducted simple survey based research for a sociology class to forming mock “Health Care Bill” reforms; I can confidently say that UCF has all the tools and resources one will need when setting out to do research. I have learned a lot about research and feel that my techniques have come a long way since my beginner research days. I have found that I typically tend to gather most of my information from limited sources and when I go to do my works cited page, it is surprisingly short. I now force myself to look for a long list of potential sources, whether it is journals, government documents, historical evidence, past research results, published reports or articles – I put together a list of places I want to look into before I even begin the actual looking. I have also adopted a policy of strict organization. Printing the hard copy of an article or website has allowed me to be able to find the necessary information even after time has passed since the first viewing. I have noticed that “bookmarking” websites doesn’t always pan out for me in the end when it comes time to document my sources. Organization is an aspect of researching that I am still in the process of adding to my repertoire, and I must say that it has made the typically long process much more tolerable.
I personally attended some of UCF’s “Research week” events during my freshman year and have found that I still draw on what I learned at a “Beginning research” lecture put on by graduate students. Research week is full of helpful tips and advice regarding grant writing / funding to development of research skills. Interested in graduate school? You can conduct your first bit of research on March 30th at 12pm with a “What is Graduate School” workshop in the student union. Visit http://www.researchweek.ucf.edu/ to get a detailed schedule of the 2011 Research week events.
I’m sure you’ve all done research for school by now, what is the best research tool you have found? We all know about Google search and Wikipedia, are there some really good websites that you can share? How have you used research in your daily lives? As an Interdisciplinary student, what types of research have you done or hope to do that might help you with future employment?
Consider the questions above and the following video during your responses and remember to sign each of your posts!
Here is a very simple getting started video regarding basic researching
Research is the main thing that I find daunting about schoolwork. I guess that means I should steer clear of graduate school :). When I do have to do research however, I almost always employ the schools resources. Whether it was for my AA or now my bachelor’s degree the online school library helped me tremendously. For my health and science classes, peer-reviewed journal articles always seemed to be my best bet.
ReplyDeleteDanielle Sandvick
It seems like I have done more research in these first four classes of my bachelor’s degree than I did for my entire AA degree. Maybe it is because I am taking all online classes or maybe it’s just the difference between a community college and a university. Whatever it is and no matter how daunting I know that I always learn much more from a class that made me do research. Especially in this class (and no, I’m not trying to suck up) I have found, although tedious, all the research I have done is for personal enrichment so it makes it that much more beneficial. The research I hope to do in the future would be more about careers: experience, qualifications, and the like.
ReplyDeleteDanielle Sandvick
Jeff,
ReplyDeleteWhat is your favorite tool for research? What class did you enjoy researching in most and which one, if any, did you find daunting? When people ask me what research I’ve done my mind tends to go blank. Research isn’t something that I thought I incorporated into my daily activities but when you asked the question I realized I actually do, or have done, a lot of it. I am currently going to weekly health seminars. I have done research for most of the jobs I’ve worked in and having done research in school does make it that much easier.
Danielle Sandvick
Danielle,
ReplyDeleteI too find research daunting at times, but as I have come across good tools and learned new strategies, it has become something that I can complete with confidence. The UCF library online journal search engine is a tool I find myself coming back to time and time again. I have recently become very fond of interviews and videos as research options. Conducting a face to face interview is much more interesting than reading page after page of journal articles. The research assignment I had while in paramedic school is the one that I liked the most so far. I think it is hard to research a topic that someone picked for you. Being interested and motivated is the first step in conducting quality research. Of the formal research you have done so far, what has been the one you most liked?
Jeff Owens
The research tool that I use most often is the online library tools from the school I was attending at the time. I used the Daytona State Library online journal search engine very frequently during my AA to find scholarly sources for my research. I am still trying to master the UCF library online resources. On the UCF site, there are alot more options and ways to search for articles than there were at DSC. And that is a good thinkg, but it takes some getting use to! I need to work on finding a wider varity of types of resources.
ReplyDeleteMelissa Castorino
The biggest problem I have when doing a research project is getting started. Once I decide on a topic and find some sources, I find that the project usually goes pretty smoothly. I enjoyed my speech class at DSC because we were able to pick our own topics and once I had a topic I was interested in, the research was interesting to do and the speeches were easy to put together. I have also researched some topics in nursing school for presentations and used videos in my presentation. In the future, I would be interested in researching topics in the sociology field. I was looking into the research week at UCF, and I am considering attending it this year.
ReplyDeleteMelissa Castorino
The video brought up a very good point. I try to find all of my sources online and only go to the library if I need a place to study on campus. Being on a satellite campus makes using the library more difficult. The library at DSC is very limited and when I have tried to find sources there I was not successful. I have not tried to use the local public library for sources and I am going to see what they have for future projects. Relying on the school’s online library will create issues in the future when I do not have access to a database, and I feel I should explore some other options. I also feel that this will add more depth to the research I am performing.
ReplyDeleteMelissa Castorino
Danielle,
ReplyDeleteThe university is a wonderful place to find research information because it is a trusted place for information. Sites such as Wiki can be edited; making the information incorrect. Keep up the good work on research there will be a lot more to come.
Good Luck,
Tiffany Gray
Melissa,
ReplyDeleteI just want to say not to worry I am a senoir, and I still get lost when using the online library. I also have a hard time getting started on research, but I found that if I write it in my planner and stick to it by setting goals it is much easier.
Tiffany Gray
Research, for me, is one of my least favorite aspects of school. I am always so paranoid about citing my sources correctly after an incident in my freshman year, that it makes the whole project much more stressful. I did have one good experience so far in college with a research project, and that was for a psychology class. Using the peer reviewed journals in the libraries databases made finding sources (that were actually good!) so much easier and more credible. I now look to the library's databases for most of my research sources.
ReplyDeleteTyler Herring
Jeff,
ReplyDeleteDo you think that doing undergraduate research is a good idea for anyone looking to go to grad school, even if not for a PhD or if they are not interested in doing research in the future? I'm not sure if I should invest my time gaining real experience working in my field of interest, or doing research that is somewhat related to it. I want to be sure I'm not missing an essential part of getting into grad school. I just am not sure how to get involved doing research, and if I need to at all.
Tyler Herring
Melissa,
ReplyDeleteI think that is a really good idea to look beyond the university resources. I never really thought about not having those to work with. Have you found any good resources such as libraries or databases that you would recommend? I'm from the DSC area and know that it's not exactly the greatest area to be doing research...with limited resources for collegiate studies! Good luck with your research and work there.
Tyler Herring
Tyler,
ReplyDeleteI do think that research is a good idea for someone looking to go to grad school. While this is just an assumption, I would say that most master degree programs, no matter the subject, will require some sort of research and associated presentation to finish the program. If you are in classes that are not requiring research projects than it may be beneficial to look into doing a little of your own; nothing extravagant that requires hundreds of hours of time, but something that interests you and can be done in an easy fashion. Published journals relating to your field are always a good thing to become familiar with. I think that gaining real experience is excellent but adding in some research, something to set you apart from other potential employees and make you stand out to future bosses, is the best combination. Take a look at the ResearchWeek activities, maybe there is something that sparks your interest and can be helpful at the same time. Graduate school is competitive these days as the job market weakens, what will set you apart from the other student trying to get in?
Jeff Owens
All,
ReplyDeleteI too, find a research project to be one of my least favorite things to do. Being out of high school almost 30 years, I usually draft a lot of my essays on my real work experience as well as the articles or books that I reference. This helps me to form an opinion on a certain subject but it also makes you research on similar, and even opposite points of view on a subject to prove what you are saying.
Robert Gonzalez
I have done a great deal of research from the beginning of my college career up until now. I would have to say that I found great online research tools from our UCF library site and searching for online journals and periodicals. In my daily life, I don’t think there is a day that goes by where I don’t have to look something up. It may not be something big or for school however, it could be for a job, for a location for a restaurant along with many other reasons. I use any search engines, Google being the most used, however when it is for school related work I use credible resources such as the online journals.
ReplyDeleteHu-Ann Gayle
As an Interdisciplinary student I have done research for clarification for meanings of words as well as other things. This degree was new to me therefore I had to research definitions and terms that was not as common to me. I have to say that most of my research came with my science courses. Writing papers, researching for experimental topics and looking up information on areas that I am not familiar with are some of the reasons I used research. I used the National Center for Biotechnology Information’s website to do a lot of gene therapy and protein research.
ReplyDeleteHu-Ann Gayle
I research for my career choices all the time. Searching for schools, different programs, tuition costs and many things. This is an ongoing search for me, deciding on what are my next steps once I graduate. I use various search engines to help me find jobs and search for companies that I am interested in applying to once I graduate. Expectantly, my interdisciplinary skills that I learn from this course and the Capstone course will help me to be a better researcher and find other means of researching for any future employment. I hope to continue exploring and finding new search engines to assist me in my quest.
ReplyDeleteHu-Ann Gayle
Jeff,
ReplyDeleteThe concept you mentioned of "mastering" research is interesting. I think research is a growth process, while we have all become stronger researchers throughout our education. Some of us can remember all the way back to elementary school, when we were first presented research methods during show and tell,. Our research was primitive using first hand accounts of what a ball is from our real world interactions. Throughout our academic careers we have become more proficient at researching. I find that my skills to navigate the library website is challenged in a new way with every course and will continue for the rest of my life.
-- Jonathan Kress
My college career has certainly been a series of research assignments leading back to my freshman fall semester with composition course work. I know I also was required to do quite a bit of research to successfully complete my coursework in my speech classes as well. This research work was pushed to the next extreme entering the business college, with my business classes we were driven to find information and create a business profile of a fortune 500 corporation. More recently I have found that my health courses have required different style for my citations and that has certainly challenged me to expand my citation knowledge and ensure correct information is cited correctly. Of course this course has challenged us to work in a group setting towards our research goals, which adds a new level of interpersonal work in this distinctive online environment.
ReplyDelete-- Jonathan Kress
Tyler,
ReplyDeleteI think Jeff put it perfectly research will help prepare you for future work in the graduate level, even with more practical types of degrees research remains a strong portion of the degree process in any Masters program. I agree with you in realize the focus of our research should be gaining knowledge and improving our understanding of any topic, but find myself more interested in properly citing the information in the text of my work. I understand the need to have measurable metrics for grading, but at times I find that the citation is more important than the information. I have also found that oftentimes adhering to the guidelines for length is more important than strong content.
-- Jonathan Kress
I love, love, love doing research. What I do not like is having put everything together. I get very excited when I have the opportunity to find new information. It's like a scavenger hunt. I think undergraduates are put off by the research process because they are first introduced to the concept while studying subjects that they are not really interested in. For example, my first research project was for a political science class(yawn!) Do any of you think that you would be more interested in the research process if you were able to pick your own topics?
ReplyDeleteAlicia Malebranche
Just today I created a literature review at my internship. We are researching Groupon and will be making a presentation to our board of directors to try to sell the idea. To prepare, my manager asked me to research blog posts and articles about group coupons. I created a spread sheet of my findings but my manager wanted something more and she wanted in pretty quickly. So I went through my notes and created a literature review of the sources that I used for the spreadsheet. I thought it was just incredible that I got to actually use something that I thought was useless busy work to pad my grade in the real world.
ReplyDeleteAlicia Malebranche
In 2002 , I worked as a research assistant for a evolutionary biologist at FSU. I think this is where my love of research started. In the future, I hope to participate in and design my own research. I would like to attend all of the Research Week events but due to my internship I will not have time. I plan on goint to the forum on Grant Writing. Is anyone else planning on attending any other lectures?
ReplyDeleteAlicia Malebranche
Danielle,
ReplyDeleteI can definitely relate to your caution about research in general. I've never been one to get excited about research. If it is regarding a topic of interest to me, that of course is different. I like to use the library website when doing research for papers or projects. The variety of databases are so helpful and full of information.
Amanda HAgen
One research project that I did enjoy was back during my freshman year. It was a group project on the media's impact on women's self image. It was so interesting to take the time to learn about the history of media and what was considered beautiful compared to today's standards. As a group, we used the UCF library's website as well as a variety of peer reviewed articles. I always feel confident using these types of sources because I know they are reliable. And now, the majority of projects or papers I have to do require peer reviewed sources. So I'm glad that I got early practice.
ReplyDeleteAmanda Hagen
Alicia,
ReplyDeleteTo answer your question, I would definitely be more motivated to do research if I could pick my own topic. I've had a mixture of assigned topics and topics that I've chosen. If I have the freedom to choose my own subject, I am more excited to learn and do the work to complete the assignment.
Amanda Hagen
Alicia,
ReplyDeleteyou may want to pursue a degree in something that allows you to perform research on a constant basis since this is what you love to do. It is important to love your job or it will bore you and you will start to move from job to job searching for the right field.
Robert Gonzalez
Jeff,
ReplyDeleteI would have to say that my favorite formal research so far has been my overseas trip for my humanities class. What better way to research then taste, sight-see, and tangible research! :)
Danielle Sandvick
Alicia
ReplyDeleteIts funny you bring up groupon. I just download an app on my android phone called "Groupon." I think it is a wonderful idea and have used it twice already.
Kevin Vasquez
Danielle
ReplyDeleteI bet that was a great learning experience to travel abroad and have tangiable research. I bet you learned a lot just being a part of the cutlure.
Kevin Vasquez
Research is a subject that can be way in depth or very basic. Depending on what is need and the desierd outcome. The most research i have down would be on a paper for a class my sophmore year of college. Personally for own knowledge i have done a lot of reasearch. The best way to learn besides experience is to read. So i try and read as much as can on subjects i enjoy. Such as photography and currently i have been doing a lot of research on investments.
ReplyDeleteKevin Vasquez
Alicia,
ReplyDeleteI love research, too. I agree it's fun to get the information, but putting it together is a challenge. I struggle with the UCF database, but enjoy F2F interviews. I definitely would enjoy researching a topic I'm interested in.
Kimberly Buffkin
This topic got me thinking as I have never really thought about my "research" experience (or lack thereof). When initially thinking about what kinds of research I have done, all that comes to mind is the typical sort of literary research done for term papers and the like (especially considering my Philosophy background). However, I have also done some research about political campaigns for a class by that same name. In addition, I did quite a bit of legal research when I worked as an assistant at a law firm. When I apply for PA school, I am curious to know if they will ask questions pertaining to research as your graduate school interviewer did, and if so, will it reflect poorly if all of my "research" thus far in my scholarly career has been done outside of the medical field?
ReplyDelete-- Kristina Young
I find that when I need to do research for a class and the class requires only peer reviewed journals, as many do, sites like the UCF Library and JSTOR can be hard to navigate and you can spend a lot of time just searching for the article. I like to use Google Scholar. It is by far the easiest way to find an article and usually when you click the link it will have options for getting the full text courtesy of UCF. I have had to find peer reviewed journal articles ever since high school and this is the easiest way to do it I have found. The link for it is http://scholar.google.com/
ReplyDeleteTravis Hunt
I have never found research to be an exciting thing to do yet it seems to be something that every class requires. I am certainly not looking forward to graduate school as I know that I will have to do more research than I want to think about. Hopefully since I am going to Chiropractic college there will not be as much as some other careers but I know there is no escaping it for me. Research is good and there are many uses for it but there are some people, like me, who just find it incredibly boring and tedious.
ReplyDeleteTravis Hunt
I think that if I could do research on a subject that I truly liked it would make things so much easier for me. But right now I have a professor who has assigned me a research paper but requires everyone in the class to do it on the same subject because she is afraid that if she lets us choose we will bore her. What she does not realize is that her subject completely bores the class and that it makes us not nearly as excited to do her project. I have probably put half the effort into this project as I would have if I could have picked my own topic.
ReplyDeleteTravis Hunt